Thursday, January 31, 2008

DIY Fashion



Recently, the lovely and fashionable Jennine of The Coveted shared with us the joys of gradient tights and showed us how to make them ourselves.

I haven't tried this yet, but I did get to thinking. DIY fashion is a something that we've all done at some point or another (remember bedazzling?). I don't even know the number of times I've fallen in love with a piece in the store, only to bring it home and never touch it because I find it too boring, too dull, just not what I hoped it would be. "I wish 'designer x' would have changed 'element y,' then this garment would perfect," I usually think to myself. That is, until I realize that that wouldn't be any fun at all. I don't know about you all but I get a little thrill when I take my style into my own hands and wear something in a way that wasn't originally intended. Fashion itself is creation. It's taking tactile and intrinsically useless objects and turning them into wearable art. It's the constant experimentation, the changing, reworking, inventing, creating, destroying and patching together that takes all that fashion can be and makes it what it is.

Some more DIY fashion inspiration:

Always an original, a jacket makeover with the incomparable Style Bubble

Fringe tees with Style Bytes

A drawing lesson with The Clothes Horse

Happy creating.

No comments: